Another year, another meticulously curated best of music play list. Sure, sure – every one ELSE has moved on to 2017 and are feverishly beginning to mark down what new jams take their fancy, but here at the Lighthouse? Well, we move at our own pace and deliver only the best product to give back you….the people.
In this episode, the lads sit down and go through Cubosa’s Top 116 of 2016 playlist; singling out delicious highlights, egregious omissions and reminiscing on all the quality music that came out in the year of the Monkey. We may hate a little too much, but it’s because we care.
1. NxWorries – Suede
2. Phony PPL – Why ii Love The Moon
3. A$AP Twelvvy – L.Y.B.B. (Resolution)
4. Schoolboy Q – That Part (Feat. Kanye West)
5. Brodinski – Us (Feat. Bloody Jay)
6. Rihanna – Kiss It Better
7. Amine – Caroline
8. Mac Miller – Dang! (Feat. Anderson .Paak)
9. GoldLink – Fall In Love (Feat. Ciscero, Kaytranada & BADBADNOTGOOD)
10. Kaytranada – Lite Spots
11. The Avalanches – Because I’m Me
12. Majid Jordan – Make It Work
13. Barei – Say Yay! (Spain – Eurovision Entry)
14. Gryffin – Heading Home (Feat. Josef Salvat)
15. Flume – Tiny Cities (Feat. Beck)
16. ANOHNI – 4 Degrees
17. The Smith Street Band – History Eraser (Like a Version Cover)
18. Sioux Falls – Copy Paste
19. Isaiah Rashad – 4r Da Squaw
20. Frank Ocean – Nikes
21. Roy Woods – She Knows About Me
22. Drake – Too Good (Feat. Rihanna)
23. PARTYNEXTDOOR – Not Nice
24. HOME – Decay
25. Flume – Free
26. Crystal Castles – Their Kindess Is Charade
27. Khalid – Let’s Go
28. Childish Gambino – Redbone
29. DJ Quik & Problem – You Are Everything
30. Nas – Nas Album Done
31. Fat Joe & Remy Ma – All The Way Up (Feat. French Montana)
32. Young Thug – Webbie (Feat. Duke)
33. Curren$y – Mallory Knox
34. French Montana – Lockjaw (Feat. Kodak Black)
35. Madeintoyo – Uber Everywhere
36. Post Malone – Deja Vu (Feat. Justin Bieber)
37. Wale – It’s Too Late
38. How To Dress Well – The Speed Dial
39. Anderson .Paak – Room In Here (Feat. The Game & Sonyae Elise)
40. Rihanna – Consideration (Feat. SZA)
41. GoldLink – Rough Soul (Feat. April George)
42. Isaiah Rashad – Free Lunch
43. A Tribe Called Quest – The Space Program
44. Schoolboy Q – By Any Means
45. Future – Low Life (Feat. The Weeknd)
46. Flatbush Zombies – Bounce
47. Lil Uzi Vert – Money Longer
48. Joe Budden – Three
49. Danny Brown – When It Rain
50. Crystal Castle – Fleece
51. Julian Winding – The Demon Dance
52. Negative Gemini – Body Work
53. Drake – Feel No Ways
54. Shura – Tounge Tied
55. Bat For Lashes – Sunday Love
56. Blood Orange – Hands Up
57. David Bowie – I Can’t Give Everything Away
58. How To Dress Well – Salt Song
59. Frightened Rabbit – Woke Up Hurting
60. DIIV – Loose Ends
61. Frank Ocean – Ivy
62. Frans – If I Were Sorry (Sweden Eurovision Entry)
63. The Cardboard Swords – Cardigan
64. Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties – ’67 Cherry Red
65. Sioux Falls – 3 Fast
66. FEWS – 100 Goosebumps
67. White Lung – Kiss Me When I Bleed
68. PUP – Sleep in The Heat
69. The Smith Street Band – Death To The Lads
70. Pinegrove – Old Friends
71. DMA’s – Delete
72. Frightened Rabbit – I Wish I Was Sober
73. Anderson .Paak – Put Me Thru
74. Elzhi – Hello!!!!!
75. Joe Budden – I Wanna Know
76. A Tribe Called Quest – Whatever Will Be (Feat. Consequence)
77. Solange – Cranes In The Sky (Kaytranada Edit)
78. Miguel – Come Through & Chill
79. Roy Woods – SKRT (Remix)
80. Dave – Wanna Know
81. Drake – U With Me?
82. Rihanna – Needed Me
83. Majid Jordan – Something About You
84. Mickey Kojak – Move Too Fast
85. Janet Jackson – If (Kaytranada Remix)
86. Kaytranada – You’re The One (Feat. Syd)
87. Drake – One Dance (feat. Wizkid & Kyla)
88. Vybz Kartel – Fever
89. D.R.A.M. – Broccoli (Feat. Lil Yatchy)
90. Domo Genesis – DAPPER (Feat. Anderson .Paak)
91. Anderson .Paak – Am I Wrong (Feat. Schoolboy Q)
92. Chance The Rapper – All Night (Feat. Knox Fortune)
93. Kaytranada – Together (Feat. AlunaGeorge & GoldLink)
94. Teedra Moses – Be Your Girl (Kaytranada Edit)
95. Carly Rae Jepsen – Body Language
96. Era Istrefi – Bonbon
97. Rihanna – Sex With Me
98. Roy Woods – You Love It
99. Mac Miller – Stay
100. King – The Greatest
101. Gallant – Bourbon
102. NAO – Girlfriend
103. dvsn – Hallucinations
104. Maxwell – 1990x
105. Khalid – Location
106. Frank Ocean – Nights
107. Pearl – Private Party
108. PARTYNEXTDOOR – Come and See Me (Feat. Drake)
109. Drake – Fire & Desire
110. BADBADNOTGOOD – In Your Eyes (Feat. Charlotte Day Wilson)
111. Kamasi Washington – The Rhythm Changes
112. Mac Miller – God Is Fair, Sexy, Nasty (Feat. Kendrick Lamar)
113. Bon Iver – 29 #Strafford APTS
114. Dreamboy – Endings
115. Sioux Falls – If You Let It
116. Apologies, I Have None – Crooked Teeth (Acoustic)
After the visuals for the new Weeknd album were released, I was excited. They. Are. Beautiful!
But like most albums this year it was bloated because, well, streams. We’ve voiced our dissatisfaction countless times on the podcast, so this time I’ve done something about it!
May I present the Starboy EP, a 10 track stellar piece of work.
First, I swapped I Feel It Coming to the front and Starboy to the end. You feel it coming on the last track?! No, you feel it coming on the first track and then end out a star …. boy.
I left False Alarm because at least it’s divisive and evokes emotion.
Then I got rid of Stargirl Interlude with Lana Del Ray because it’s as entertaining as her career trajectory.
Finally, I got rid of everything from Love to Lay onwards. They’re boring, generic Weeknd tracks. What does Love To Lay even mean? I get it, it’s a fun alliteration for sleeping around, but come on, it’s as lazy as the remainder of the album.
Have a listen. I’m putting our platform in great peril posting a copy of this EP, so get it before they get us.
The title of this episode only refers to a small portion of the podcast, but made for a great visual so we went for it. We’re Low Lifes, we’re not here to feed the streets with facts and objective thoughts. We drag you down to our level.
We spend half the podcast professing our love for the new Tribe album and then each share a new single we’ve been digging.
Ying & Yang. Heads & Tails. Divinity & Atrocity. This week at the Lighthouse…it’s all about the dualities.
After a much cathartic rant a few weeks ago, and admittedly – further ranting during last weeks awards, the Low Lifes sit down to discuss two projects that while entirely different in concept and execution, both hit the highs we’ve been searching for all year.First, Mac Miller with his the musical and jazz-inspired love (and lust) letter – “The Divine Feminine”, and then the demented human fun-house himself Danny Brown, with “Atrocity Exhibition”. As a bonus the Low Lifes wrap up with a tale of thrift shop and adventure, musing on a few hidden treasures in our own city.
*Author’s note: A few beverages were consumed prior to the recording of this podcast*
The music, the fashion, the pageantry…the fuckery. Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the 2016 BET Hip Hop Awards.
In this episode the Lowlifes switched things up a little and settled in for a night on the couch (and many brews) to watch went down last Tuesday. From the cyphers featuring reunions, up and comers and veterans; to the plethora of performances; to DJ Khaled’s inflated ego; to…I guess awards? The Lowlifes are here to make clarity of all the chaos. So sit back, crack a brew and listen along as we break down the celebration of all things hip hop.
They don’t want the Lowlifes to live podcast the awards….so we podcast the awards.
Cyphers Cypher 1 – Peedi Crakk, Neef, Omillio Sparks, Freeway & Beanie Sigel of State Property Cypher 2 – Don Q, Russ, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Kent Jones & Nick Grant Cypher 3 – Sam Black, Ms. Jade, Kur, Dave East & Young M.A Live Cypher – Oswin Benjamin, Locksmith & M-1 & Stic of Dead Prez Cypher 4 – Mike Biv, Bre-Z, Yazz The Greatest & Big Ron DeVoe Cypher 5 – Aaron Cook$, 3D Na’Tee, Rain 910, Consequence & Jidenna Cypher 6 – Lil Wayne & Chocolate Droppa (aka Kevin Hart)
Ladies & Gentlemen the Lowlifes are back and boy oh boy, do we have a lot to get off our chest.
In this episode we discuss The Sun’s Tirade from TDE’s next big thing – Isaiah Rashad; ascend the staircase into Frank Ocean’s mind with his double drop – Endless/Blonde; debate whether the name change, changes anything with Young Thug’s Jeffrey; discuss Vince Staple’s Prima Donna complex; and finally vent about Tory Lanez’s I Told You So & Travis Scott’s Birds In The Trap Sing McNight – it’s harsh but we think it’s fair.